IFFO RS Version 2.0
NOTE (18th August 2017): All new applicants to the IFFO RS programme must now apply to Version 2.0 of the standard.
Launch of Version 2.0 of the IFFO RS standard
The launch of Version 2.0 of the IFFO RS standard is an exciting new phase for IFFO RS Limited. From the standards official launch back in September 2009, the IFFO RS standard has grown from strength to strength. As of 2017 130 plants in 17 different countries have gained IFFO RS certification and over 45% of the worlds combined production of Marine ingredients is IFFO RS compliant.
In order to continue the further development of the IFFO RS standard the IFFO RS Governance Board approved the decision to review Version 1.6 of the IFFO RS Standard as a matter of not only good practice and in compliance with ISEAL, but also in order to increase accessibility, maintain credibility and ensure relevancy and a robust standard.
A Technical Advisory Committee (TAC) represented by the different parts of the value chain including marine ingredient producers, feed processors, fisheries and aquaculture standard holders, retailers, fisheries experts and NGOs was selected to revise and produce the new version of the standard. The IFFO RS Standard Version 2.0 underwent a comprehensive standard development process following ISEAL codes for standard development. Drafts for the fishery criteria together with the fishery assessment methodology only (excluding mixed trawl fishery elements) were prepared and placed in Public Consultation for 30 days in order to seek stakeholder input and to offer those directly and indirectly affected by the proposed new version the opportunity to provide feedback. Parallel to the 1st Public Consultation, the factory audit criteria were being developed and once completed and trialled the 1st full draft of Version 2.0 was agreed and finalised for approval to be placed for a further 60-day public consultation period.
After this stage, the full draft of the IFFO RS Version 2.0 standard was put forward to the IFFO RS Governance Board for agreement and approval for launch on the 18th July 2017 with the intention to start a new full revision in July 2022.
The principal objectives for Version 2.0 were as follows
- To continue to meet the objectives set in the development of Version 1 of the IFFO RS Standard
- To enhance the IFFO RS Approval Criteria for whole fish used as a raw material for IFFO RS compliant production to promote more responsible fisheries management
- To promote more efficient marine ingredients production practices to reduce the environmental impact of the fishmeal and fish oil manufacturing process
- To promote and create improved social and welfare benefits for all workers employed within the marine ingredients manufacturing sector
- To develop this version of the standard to be in compliance with the ISEAL Code of Practice for Setting Social and Environmental Standard v5.0 Version 2
The Main Version 2.0 Key Development Activities Were:
- The IFFO RS Approval Criteria and assessment methodology for raw material fisheries was re-developed in order to incorporate key elements of the FAO Code of Conduct for Responsible Fisheries 1995.
- Additional set of IFFO RS Approval Criteria for raw material fisheries defined as mixed fisheries was developed to determine how they can be reviewed and assessed for used as raw materials for marine ingredient production.
- IFFO RS factory conformance criteria to assess Good Manufacturing Practice was developed and introduced to ensure safe practices are exhibited and to reduce the environmental risk of the production processes.
- A new set of IFFO RS factory conformance criteria that takes into account ILO convention was developed and introduced to assess the social and welfare rights of employees within the marine ingredient producing factories.
Transitioning from Version 1.6 to Version 2.0
From the date of the launch of Version 2.0 of the IFFO RS standard there will be a transition period to allow both currently certified factories and new applicants to the programme to adjust to the new standard. These are outlined below.
Current certified factories
Current certified factories under V1.6 of the IFFO RS standard will have 1 year to understand and apply the revisions. If your re-certification or annual surveillance audit falls between July 18th 2017 and July 18th 2018, you should be applying under Version 2.0, however, should your production facility not be ready for Version 2.0 you can continue to be certified against the Version 1.6 Standard but you will be required in your next re-certification or annual assessment to be audited and certified against the New Version 2.0 Standard. IFFO RS aims to have all IFFO RS factories certified to the new Version 2.0 standard by 2019.
New applicants to the IFFO RS Standard will have 1 month from the launch of the new standard to understand updates and decide if they wish to be certified under the Version 1.6 Standard OR Version 2.0. However following 18th August 2017 all new applicants will be required to apply and be certified against the new Version 2.0 Standard. Should a new applicant choose to be certified under Version 1.6 of the standard, they will be required in their first annual surveillance, and all surveillance and re-certifications that follow, to be audited and certified under Version 2.0.
For further detailed information regarding the transition from IFFO RS Version 1.6 to Version 2.0 please download the documents in the download section of this page. If you have any further questions of how this may affect your application or certification please contact us.
Costs to the IFFO RS standard will change at the beginning of 2018 due to the increased recognition and enhancement of assurance, credibility and robustness.However, given that the fishery assessment methodology have changed, costs for assessments will be consulted with the relevant certification body in order to provide the final cost for registration.